I don’t know a huge amount about the “New 52” take on the DC universe (I stopped paying attention to DC’s output when they changed their logo to look like a half-unwrapped Acme magnet) but if the Justice League: War animation is any kind of summary, I’m glad I’ve not wasted my time.
Batman now seems to think it’s impolite if he doesn’t tell everyone who he is, Wonder Woman has taken to talking like a really, really bad Shakespearean actor and Superman is a dick.
Ignoring the animation’s terrible narrative, what struck me like a rancid kipper in the face was how god-awful the character designs were. In this instance; particularly Darkseid’s. Yeah, he wore a bucket on his head in the past, but it worked! It added to his menace as a laser-firing brick of doom. You took one look at him and you knew who he was.
Watch Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. THAT version of Darkseid is an iconic badass.
In JL:War, he’s a forgettable Christmas Tree.
It’s the same with Wonder Woman’s new, bling-free cozzy and Supeman’s blue romper-suit. They’re all just so bland.
Change for the sake of change is always a bad idea, especially if the designs you’re f**king around with have 70 years of development behind them. It doesn’t matter how talented the artist charged with the task is; you can’t just alter an icon overnight. You end up with the overworked crap we see in the “New 52”.
That this “New 52” garbage exists at all supports what I’ve said about both DC and Marvel for years, now: they don’t make comics. They don’t tell stories. They’re advertisers. Everything they do is written off as such by their parent companies. Their job is just to keep their IP on the shelves and in the public eye so that they can peddle the next movie/game/lunchbox that features those characters.
If that wasn’t what they do, they’d leave their tired old pantheon fallow for a few years and come up with some new characters and new mythologies, rather than brutalise what they already have in their stable via a botched "revitalisation".
Wonderwoman- i can now tolerate her as she is no longer so annoying as bitch wonderwoman from the past always harping about how the man has her "sisters" in the constant scurge of men.
Batman/Superman- both at this point would amuse me if they died. superman is always a dick and batman has been driven into the ground so bad he should be mole man by now. superman's face looked better and batman was more creative an idea even though he should really hit the bench for a while with superman.
Cyborg- refreshing and very creative but emensly overpowered. all i gotta say,.. it was refreshing to see some actual creativity there.
Flash- he was,.. always as he has ever been. i dont think they have it in them to change flash so much-
Darkside- the design was okay where the size was not. i get that he is larger than life i really do. but that sonna bitch was 25-50 feet tall and it wasnt consistant throughout the movie. good enemy but this time he was no different from that of a hive of killer bees.
anyone else i forgot was probobly because they suck too much to even remember. it has been a week since i seen this movie but i remember it being vastly more refreshing than the other shit. love the willingness to go more mature,.. the child shit gets old.
You should see what they've done to Starfire. She's now
brainless "aloof" bimbo wth little personality. Admittedly, I haven't bothered reading wit DC comic books since that's happened, so maybe they redacted that and made it Blackfire taking her place again or something.
I think the only decent thing I've seen DC put out in the last few years was the Young Justice cartoon. And they screwed up the Joker in that.
They just told us its a reboot withoit really building a real new universe. Green lantern bookshave basically continued the story geoff has been telling for years, while every other character has suddenly only been a superhero for a few years. Any new book that has any fresh ideas is cancled within months. Dispite claiming to want new readers, they continue to shill out to lowest common denominators and pandering to the already existing fanbase which hates all of thier terrible changes. And the rampant objectification of women...
I am so glad I don't read comics. From the way DC is writing their stuff, they don't give jack shit about their characters, and are alienating their audience in the process. At least Marvel actually seems to give a damn.
But for batman, he used to be intelligent, cold shouldered, yet capable of emotions and having some feelings for someone. let it be a close friend or romantic interest, or simply someone pulled onto the bad side of the law do to circumstances and poor judgment.
Oh and let's not forget Batman's original morals of "Refuses to kill anybody and hates guns", now he's like "lets leave the bad guy for dead."
Wonder woman... when some of the new movies fist started coming out they made her too much of a feminist. It was hard to pay attention to one movie where she was helping an (rebel?)army of woman fight against men in war spouting anti-male feminist bullshit. I found it appalling and I am a woman.
1) Batman has become the biggest Gary Stu possible, winning fist fights with parademons portrayed as being strong enough to grapple with & withstand attacks from superpowered individuals like Superman & Green Lantern. Hell, Batman is even fast & agile enough to dodge attacks from Superman, WHO HAS SUPER SPEED & REFLEXES. Keep in mind, Bats does all of this without the use of an exosuit or exploiting any of Superman's weaknesses, he's untouchable
2) Superman is now an arrogant tool, the exact opposite of the responsible, humble, likable voice of reason he used to be.
3) Wonder Woman acts like a clueless ditz who can't seem to understand that its NOT NORMAL OR SANE to swing a sword at someone when you're talking to them. I know she's an amazonian warrior, but there's no way she didn't learn that pointing blades at innocent bystanders and allies is unacceptable behavior. Keep in mind she's supposed to be an ambassador of peace for the amazons, an ambassador who blows off meetings with the president to eat ice cream and scare the shit out of people. Oh, & she instantly falls for Superman after seeing how strong he is >_<
4) Green Lantern, Hal Jordon, is now the Krillin of the team, he's always made to look bad in order to make the other heroes look better by comparison....BATMAN STEALS HIS RING RIGHT OFF HIS FINGER >_<
5) Captain Marvel is now called....Shazam...The magic word he uses to change back & forth between normal & super hero form >_<. He doesn't bring anything unique to the team, since it already has several hotheads who don't think before they act, and Superman & Wonder Woman cover the physical power house & supernatural being powered by mythological figures
6) Cyborg's new origin makes him look stupid for screwing around with a dangerous piece of technology he didn't understand just because his jerk of a dad didn't go to his football game. That's like sticking a fork in an electrical socket just because you're in a bad mood. Doesn't help of course that the new 52 erased his history as a titan (as well as that of all the titans).
7) Flash, normally the funniest of the heroes, is blandest of them all by far, & for some reason acts like he doesn't remember Batman even though he clearly did at the end of Flashpoint Paradox, which War is supposed to be connected to...How do they screw up the continuity that quickly?
8) The power levels of the parademons are hard to gage & Darkseid has no personality at all, he's just a big brute who barely speaks a word & has none of the evil charisma or menace Darkseid is usually associated with...Oh, & implying that the sequel will feature the league fighting Atlanteans after they already beat the biggest, baddest evil force in the DC universe is really underwhelming.
P.S. if they HAD to change his name, why not call him Captain Thunder like in the Paradox movie? Not a great name but it sounds better than Shazam & sounds like a name a kid would give a super hero persona...Heck, I suppose even Mr. Marvel or Billy Marvel would work (so Mary Marvel can keep her name for example)
Regardless though Mary HAS shown up in new 52 (repowered at that, so points for the new 52 for that. Last we saw her in the old universe she was homeless and depowered thanks to her antics in Final Crisis. Tempest and Aquagirl are also back, albeit they've only appeared as cameos thus far so a few more points as well.) and she's still called Mary Marvel. Granted like Billy she's gotten a bit of an attitude now as opposed to her formerly overly sweet nature. You get the feeling DC is ashamed of the cheesyness they were known for as it clashes with their new srs take on everything that comics have had since past 2000.
As for Shazam....I dunno, I guess since the book was called that for so long (and Shazam is what he's known for. Most casual people who only know him from the older stories and tv serials think Shazam was his name in the first place) they decided to go with that.
He was Captain Marvel in Young Justice, but that was produced before the new 52 and in season 2 I don't think he was named. Meanwhile DC Universe Online renamed him to Shazam in one of the post new 52 updates.
I think something legal happened behind the scenes and now Marvel has the complete Captain Marvel trademark.
The animated films are clearly geared towards older fans, so you'd think they'd continue to make films based off classic DC stories & characters that we know and love rather than the new 52. I mean, nearly all of their films so far have been Batman, Superman, or Justice League films, with only two green lantern films & one wonderwoman film, there's still so many characters they could make stories for, like Marv Wolfman's teen titans (& lord knows Wonder Woman deserves another movie).
I kinda thought this would happen someday, since most of the movies are based on the comic books. Eventually with the comics switching over to a terrible idea the animated movies would get that about...what...3 years later?